Geranium essential oil is steam distilled from the leaves and flowers of the Pelargonium graveolens plant. This aromatherapy oil which is used to manage depression can also be used to make natural hair care products. Persons using these products will reap its aroma-therapy benefits as they inhale geranium’s mentally uplifting aroma.
Before you use geranium oil please read the contraindications at the end of this post.
- 2 oz (60 ml) coconut oil
- 1 oz (30 ml) jojoba
- 36 drops geranium essential oil
- To make this dry scalp hot oil treatment, mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- To use this geranium hot oil treatment, apply it on the hair and cover it with a shower cap for at least 30 minutes before shampooing and conditioning.
- 50 drops geranium essential oil
- 4 oz (120 ml) coconut oil
- 4 oz (120 ml) aloe vera gel
- 4 oz (120 ml) yogurt
- To make this protein conditioner, mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- To use this geranium conditioner, apply it on shampooed hair and wear a plastic cap for at least 30 minutes before rinsing the hair.
- 10 drops geranium essential oil
- 8 drops tea tree essential oil
- 3 oz (90 ml) olive oil
- To prepare this hair oil, mix all the ingredients in a dark bottle.
- To use this geranium massage oil, apply it to the hair, wear a shower cap for some hours and comb the hair with a fine toothed comb to remove the lice eggs.
Geranium Essential Oil Contraindications
Before adding geranium essential oil to your hair care regimen, ensure that you are not pregnant.
Persons who have never used this aromatherapy oil before should dilute 4 drops with 5 ml of olive oil and apply the mixture to the inside of their forearm for 2 days. If the area develops itchiness, redness or any other sign of irritation, they should not use geranium essential oil.
Have you ever used geranium essential oil in your hair care products? Let me know in the comments below.