🍋 NOTE – GRADE B is now GRADE A DARK 🍋
I started doing the Master Cleanse Lemonade Detox in the late 1990s.
I can’t even tell you where I first heard about it, but I know I’d been trying out other detoxes, liked the results, and wanted to continue the momentum. The first year was TOUGH. On day 1 I experienced an excruciating headache and developed a huge zit under my eye (NOT GLAM). I also had days and days of the coated tongue which is a sign that your body is in fact purging toxins i.e. “detoxing”. These are all symptoms of detox that disappear as the days of the fast go on so keep going if you’re in this stage, it will pass.
As the years rolled on I did the Master Cleanse every January thereafter. My experience was never a mirror of the 1st year (thank God), and it became like second nature. The 2nd week in January I would buy my ingredients and prep for my fast. I typically do the recommended 10 days as a minimum but have gone as high as 14 stopping only because of boredom honestly. I’ve inspired so many others to do this fast as well over the years.
What is The Master Cleanse Lemonade Detox?
The Master Cleanse is a liquid fast. The ingredients provide a healthy amount of calories nutrients specifically detoxification and for weight loss. You are also giving your digestive system time ro rest allowing your body to purge toxins and heal naturally.
This post will not be full and complete “how to do the Master Cleanse + all the benefits” write up, but more a summary and my experience. I recommend you purchase the book The Master Cleanser by Stanley Burroughs to get started. Also Googling brings up so many good resources nowadays so I highly recommend that as well.
I forgot to mention, I don’t do the Master Cleanse to lose weight, even though you do. Actually, my husband does it with me every year and he adds more grade B syrup to his lemonade so he doesn’t lose as much weight. My primary purpose has always been the detoxification and wellness aspect. I have so many issues with my foods and the general toxicity of living in America and maturing that this annual Master Cleanse regimen does me well.
First let’s quickly cover:
How To Do The Master Cleanse Lemonade Detox
Disclaimer: This is only a summary and I am not a professional. I am only sharing my experiences. I recommend you purchase the book The Master Cleanser by Stanley Burroughs for more information.
Step 1: Do A Salt Water Flush
- 2 t Non-Iodized Sea Salt
- 1 Quart Lukewarm Water
- Mix the salt and water
- Drink the entire quart of salt and water first thing in the morning on an empty stomach
- Allot time to go to the bathroom several times (I usually allot 1.5 hours & honestly I do this at night and skip the senna tea)
- If you don't go to the bathroom add a smidge more salt
- If you go and it's too much playing reduce the amount of salt
Step 2: Drink The Master Cleanse Lemonade Throughout the Day
Next you must drink the special Master Cleanse Lemonade all day, at least 6 glasses but more if just fine.
- 2 T Organic Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 T Organic Grade B Rich Maple Syrup (Grade B very important)
- 1/10 t Cayenne Pepper
- 10 oz Spring or Purified water
- Mix lemon juice, syrup, pepper and and water in easy to walk with bottle
- Drink 6 or more glasses your lemonade mixture throughout the day to keep hunger at bay
- If you don't want to lose to much weight or be too hungry (like you work out) add more syrup.
- If you want to lose weight leave the recipe as is. I don't recommend using less syrup because the syrup is your calories AND nutrients (grade B syrup is less refined than grade A and therefore has more good stuff still in it) and you don't want to be weak and faint all day. You will lose weight trust me.
- Want to buy all the ingredients in one place? Check out the Maple Valley 10 Day Organic Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet Kit with Book The Complete Master Cleanse
- complete with all ingredients needed for the 10 day fast (except water and lemons).
Step 3: Drink Herbal Tea (optional) and Water
If you’re bored, which can easily happen, you’re allowed to drink non-caffeinated herbal teas (unsweetened) whenever you please. I also highly recommend just drinking water, or water and lemon to break up the monotony. You’ll be amazed how many ways you can drink water and lemon LOL! There’s no recommended amount of water for the fast, just drink some.
Step 4: Drink a Herbal Laxative Tea at Night.
Full disclosure I skip this step and do my salt water flush at night instead because laxative teas and my system don’t play well together, but if you can tolerate it drink 1 cup of herbal laxative tea (any Senna tea is good, like Smooth Move). You will either eliminate that night or be prepped and ready to eliminate fully and quickly when you do your Salt Water Flush in the AM.
Breaking The Fast
After not eating for 10 or more days your digestive system is in a relaxed and detoxing state. To break the fast and begin eating again you MUST start slow. I know people who haven’t heeded this warning and lived to regret the results. Here’s how I break the Master Cleanse fast:
- Last day of Master Cleanse: I cook a large pot of vegetable soup for the next day. This year’s recipe consisted of vegetable broth, sea salt, black pepper, Bragg organic seasoning, tumeric, red potatoes, carrots, zucchini, onion, garlic, spinach, celery, red, orange, yellow & green pepper, lentils, brown rice and water. I used as many organic ingredients as possible.
- The next day: Sip on diluted organic orange juice during the day. Technically you’re supposed to do this all day but I cheat and eat some soup for lunch or dinner, more broth than veggies in the 1st bowl. I also drink a lot of water!
- The next couple days: I eat the soup mostly also adding fruit and veggies. I still drink lots of water and orange juice.
- The next couple days: I add in salads or any other veggie-based light food.
- Subsequent days: I add in healthy foods one by one paying attention to how my body responds. This is a great time to identify foods that may have given you issues in the past but you could never put your finger on it. Be mindful that meats, fish, eggs, bread, caffeinated drinks, alchohol, milk and sugar should be avoided (or realistically diminished and brought in sloooooowly some time later).
And Now My Master Cleanse Experience (Days 1-11)
I’m currently doing the Master Cleanse in 2016 as I type up this page. I documented my entire experience in 2010 complete with almost daily videos and links to everything I mentioned. Check out those posts:
- The Master Cleanser Day 0
- The Master Cleanser Day 1
- The Master Cleanser Day 2
- The Master Cleanser Day 3
- The Master Cleanser Day 4 & 5
- The Master Cleanser Day 6 & 7
- The Master Cleanser Day 8
- The Master Cleanser Day 9
- The Master Cleanser Day 10
- The Master Cleanser Day 11
Tips I’ve Picked Up Over The Years
- Don’t plan anything major for the first 3 days. Especially if this is your 1st time. Days 1-3 are typically my heavy detox symptom days so schedule your cleanse to begin when you have down time like a weekend.
- Everyone can’t tolerate the Senna Tea. I can’t. My stomach cramps something awful. So much so that I’ve stopped doing it all together.
- You can do the Salt Water Flush at night. This is what I do because it takes a good hour and a half to finish the multiple eliminations and the worst thing is to be driving to work and have to go to the bathroom w/ no other option. Not ok. Even as a stay at home mom I do the Flush at night because the way my mornings are set up.
- Buy bottled lemon juice. Fresh juice tastes the best but it’s very time consuming to squeeze all those lemons. I prefer to buy organic bottle lemon juice.
- Do NOT use Grade A syrup. Grade B syrup is less refined and has more nutrients. If you use Grade A syrup you will feel weak and ill. Don’t do it, save that for your pancakes.
- Do the detox with a partner. I highly recommend doing The Master Cleanse with a partner, preferably your spouse so you’re not tempted by their food for 10 days. I’ve noticed that even the smell of someone else’s food will trigger hunger so avoiding that helps. A partner also helps to encourage you and keep you accountable.
- Stay away from food. I’ve done Master Cleanse for many years so I can do things like go to a restaurant with a group and not eat, but you shouldn’t try to. Just the sight or smell of other people’s food can discourage you as well as trigger your brain that it’s time to eat and start your stomach rumbling. I also notice that the less food I see in person or on television etc., the less likely I am to be tempted and hungry. I know this is hard to do, especially when others in your home need to eat but try to as best as possible.
- Pre-make your lemonade and set it in the fridge. This makes it super easy to grab and go. This also works well if you prefer your lemonade to be cold.
- If you’re curious (and for my own notes) my husband and I together used four and a half 32 oz bottles of Grade B Maple Syrup and three 32 oz bottles of organic lemon juice over our most recent 10 day fast. The brands we used are shown in the photo above. We are both 190+ lbs and over 6 feet tall. He works out regularly I have dreams of so so one day lol.