Sooooo yeah, yo girl Mo’nique wants us to #BoycottNetflix and uh ruh … here’s the thing.
If y’all don’t know Mo’nique (the comedian/actress) jumped on the interwebs and asked us to boycott Netflix.
Netflix apparently offered her half a million dollars to do a comedy special and Netflix offered a Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock, and Amy Schumer much more (millions). So Mo’nique was all Jigga Jigga who I’m a Mo Mo remember me from Precious got me an Oscar and such things a I deserve more money. So she jumps on Instagram and asked us all to boycott Netflix because she felt she was being lowballed due to her gender and race.
Then a few days later I see a video on the Book of Face with her and her husband posted up in front of her awards shelf … basically running numbers. She all but pulled out slides explaining to us why she is worth more than Amy Schumer. *blink* They went back and forth like a bad car dealer commercial trying to persuade us to come alongside her and boycott Netflix.
Now here are the problems with the situation.
- I don’t have Netflix. *shrug* – So if I wanted to support her little boycott I can’t.
- Black folk don’t pay for Netflix. – From what I understand folks just be swapping emails or getting a free trial over and over and over so you need to come get yo people first before you ask us to boycott something.
- There are too many boycotts. – Every single time somebody stub their toe online they want me to boycott to sidewalk. I can’t keep track. Is there a communal spreadsheet where we are telling each other when these things begin and end because I don’t understand how I’m supposed to #cancel and #boycott all these things.
- Almost Christmas had a huge star-studded cast. – There were a lot of other people in there and I think Mo is taking much more credit for the financial performance of that movie than she actually brought in. Whereas with the movie she was talking about with Amy Schumer it was just her and like Goldie for two solid hours.
- Amy’s just kind of in her season right now. – You got to catch it when to catchin is catchin.
The plot thickens:
Wanda Sykes tweeted in response to Mo’nique’s situation that her situation was even worse that Netflix only offered Wanda Sykes a quarter of a million dollars. A quarter of a million for
Wanda? WANDA. SYKES. No shade intended to Mo’nique but Wanda Sykes quarter of a million dollars makes more sense to me as to why we should be boycotting stuff.
Mo’nique’s WHAT gets lost in her HOW. The conversation she’s trying to have us have is lost on the fact that she just be doing stuff extra. I don’t know what happened after she got the Oscar like somebody needs to coach her on her HOW because we can’t hear you WHAT or just do it for her.
I don’t understand the Wanda Sykes $250,000 offer because Wanda could have pulled in way more Netflix so you shady for that, but um so Mo Mo I don’t know … maybe I just haven’t been up on her most recent work … like … is there recent work for me to be up on?