I do not shampoo my hair very often; instead, I clean my hair with just conditioner. I heard about this on the nappturality.com message board and thought it sounded disgusting…but it’s actually working for me (go figure).
I read in The Black Woman’s Guide to Beautiful Hair by Lisa Akbari about how acidic most non-salon brand shampoos are, how they can dry your hair and recommends using salon shampoos that have the proper pH level for your hair and scalp. This is why the conditioner wash makes so much sense to me. Most conditioners have mild detergents in them that are said to be ample to clean your hair and scalp. Enough talk, here’s the routine:
- Thouroughly soak hair under shower; finger part and rinse hair and scalp.
- Finger part hair and add conditioner to each section.
- Massage into scalp (don’t use your nails) and ‘wash’ scalp and hair.
- Let the conditioner sit on your hair while you take a shower.
- Throughly rinse hair by sectioning hair and getting all the conditioner our of it. Some people swear by leaving some conditioner in your hair (~edited~ I actually do this now and love it!)